Provide hands-on leadership to develop, execute and market knowledge management initiatives for the firm. Initiatives focus on increasing client value and include enhancing research services, case management, and expertise management; implementing processes and technologies to support competitive intelligence, expertise sharing and reuse, and market analysis; and integrating and presenting data from disparate systems as well as qualitative and quantitative research to support the activities of the department. Manage a staff of six. This position works closely with Information Technology to implement technologies to support new initiatives as they relate to Knowledge and Research services. Requirements
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Strategic and operational leadership of Knowledge and Research Services Department, including management of research services and vendors.
- Work with attorneys and staff to develop and institutionalize best practices for handling various types of matters, including document templates/samples, case management methodologies, etc.
- Identify and work with IT to pilot and implement new products and technologies that help attorneys deliver superb client value, including both legal research technologies and automation tools.
- Ensure that attorneys and staff can easily find knowledge materials, past cases, and other attorneys with expertise that are relevant to pitching, staffing, and handling new cases.
- Identify trends about clients and competitors and deliver insights to attorneys and other business functions.
- Identify and act upon opportunities to improve attorney productivity and address business challenges.
- Partner with practice and business units to ensure strategic alignment and success.
- Develop metrics and standards to support ongoing refinement of knowledge management strategies and products.
- Market services of the department to the firm and engender participation in knowledge management activities.
- The ideal candidate has a JD or Master's degree in Library Science, Business Administration with emphasis on technology, Computer Science, or another field related to business technology. A Bachelor's degree in a related field is acceptable.
- At least 10 years of corporate or legal experience in knowledge management and research services or as a practicing attorney.
- Experience innovating processes and technologies to support business functions and strategies.
- Experience with legal project management and/or case management.
- Experience gathering requirements, developing and executing project plans.
- Experience building portals, intranets, knowledge repositories, and productivity applications.
- Experience managing and mentoring staff through change.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Entrepreneurial vision with proven implementation track-record.