The Business Development Manager is responsible for supporting the sales and marketing plans and goals of the practice group, and reports to the Chief Marketing Officer.Requirements
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Work with practice chairs to develop strategic practice group plans and lead the execution, reporting and tracking on these shared goals and objectives.
- Regularly conduct market research to identify market trends, potential clients and opportunities for the practice group and prepare market research briefings for partners based on this research.
- Work with partners (and individually) to understand their areas of expertise and client base; solicit their ideas for business development and create plans to achieve revenue growth.
- Manage the selling process and work closely with partners to initiate and follow-up on sales leads, prospective client meetings, sales preparation, and follow up.
- This includes coaching attorneys, responding to RFP’s and pitches, prepping and debriefing pitch teams and managing prospect pipelines.
- Support integration efforts for lateral partners by developing and implementing marketing and client-facing initiatives to support their individual lateral integration plans.
- Manage the submissions process for major publications’ awards and rankings (e.g. Chambers).
- Assist with the coordination of practice group events, sponsorships, advertisements and speaking engagements.
- Work closely with the communications team and PR agency to promote the successes of the practice, including identifying client-alert opportunities, media, trade publications and publishing and speaking opportunities.
- Collect, track and report on matter data for the Firm’s experience database project.
- Identify and develop relationships with organizations outside the Firm including industry and trade organizations, trade publications and associations.
- Manage practice-group business development budget; report on all expenditures and track and report return on investment.
- Regularly collaborate with other business development managers to identify and execute cross-selling and cross-marketing opportunities.
- Manage the daily activities of assigned business development coordinators and train/coach them in their career development.
- Bachelor’s degree (BA or BS), preferably in a marketing-related field, preferred. JD/MBA is a plus.
- 8-10 years related experience, preferably experience in law firm or professional services marketing or business development.
- Marketing/business development background preferred; law firm experience a plus.
- Excellent research and analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal skills; team builder and team player who develops strong relationships with lawyers and staff members
- Attention to detail.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills.
- Demonstrated leadership and ability to work proactively and independently in a team environment.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills and the ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines under pressure
- Demonstrated strength in interacting and communicating effectively at all levels, both within and outside the firm.
- Good systems and database skills including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and CRM applications.
- Flexibility, responsiveness, adaptability, and professional maturity.
- Regular, predictable attendance required.