Prestigious law firm seeking a seasoned business development professional to support the Business Litigation; Bankruptcy & Commercial Litigation; Insurance Recovery, Litigation and Counseling; and the Product Liability practices across our nine offices. The candidate must be proactive and work independently to help Practice Group Leaders (PGLs) and lawyers within those groups identify opportunities, build relationships and raise their profiles to develop new business. This position will have the support of a specialist in our Philadelphia office. The role requires regular collaboration with colleagues on various internal and external initiatives (industry events, database development, media relations, etc.). Ideally the position will be based in our Newark office, but we will consider candidates in our Wilmington, New York or Hartford locations who could travel frequently to Newark. If you have relevant experience, we would like you to consider joining our team.
- Business development: Drafts pitches and proposals, including responses to RFPs, and works with the lawyers on client outreach activities, such as alerts and educational presentations. Keeps the lawyers on track to carry out their marketing and business development plans. Works with other business development managers to coordinate cross-selling initiatives between various practice groups.
- Research: works with Library to research prospective clients, industry trends, and competitors’ business development activities to identify issues, recommend actions and potential opportunities for our partners to expand their client base.
- Matter Management: Ensures that the marketing materials, particularly case and matter summaries for each practice group are current, accurate and complete. Works with other members of the Business Development Department to draft and distribute matter information, news, events and publication details for attorneys within practice groups.
- Practice Group Administration and Budgeting: Assists PGLs in coordinating practice group business development meetings. Drafts and oversees annual business development budget for the assigned practices.
- Media/Public Relations: Works with the firm’s PR agency to develop media opportunities and topics for lawyer-authored articles within the assigned practices. Assists in generating effective press coverage for wins and other news.
- Awards/Rankings: Manages the process for submission of directory and survey responses (Chambers, Benchmark Litigation, etc.) for Business Litigation, Insurance Recovery, Bankruptcy and Product Liability practice groups.
Education and Training Required
- Be a proactive self-starter and strategic thinker who takes ownership of multiple deadline-intensive projects with minimal oversight and strict attention to detail.
- Have strong interpersonal and communication skills to be able to handle a variety of personalities and provide information with sensitivity and tact.
- Supervisory skills working with a business development specialist, along with supervising the work of other marketing team members who will be assisting the manager in their role (events, website, InterAction, etc.)
- Must possess excellent writing skills, with the ability to draft and summarize technical legal topics into plain English.
- Advanced knowledge of legal business development and marketing practices, including CRM (InterAction preferred) and communications.
- Must have strong project management skills and be able to juggle multiple priorities.
- The successful candidate will join an existing team of professionals and will be expected to collaborate and support his/her colleagues.
- Be proficient using MS Office, as well as legal research tools, such as Monitor Suite.
Bachelors Degree in Marketing or a related field and at least seven years’ experience in a law firm or other professional services environment required, preferably working with litigation practice groups.