Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Senior Manager of Communications will be responsible for managing and executing a range of public relations and communications activities to support the Firm’s global strategy and business development goals. These activities include the full suite of media relations, social media, internal communications, awards and rankings, byline articles, and other related projects to support the firm’s many leading practices and individuals, as well as the firm’s overall position in the market. This is a highly visible position requiring the ability to: manage and develop direct reports; successfully advise partners on potential press opportunities and prepare them for press interviews; successfully develop relationships with and work across various administrative departments throughout the firm, such as Recruiting, Diversity & Inclusion and Social Responsibility; efficiently manage a high volume of daily work with constantly shifting priorities; and bring a creative flair for developing ideas for public relations and social media campaigns and successfully implementing them.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Identify opportunities for the firm to further support and elevate its profile through multiple channels, including media coverage, social media, thought leadership initiatives, and other firm communication vehicles
- Assess and advise on risks associated with media engagement and other communications activities and propose best way forward
- Act as a key spokesperson for firm announcements and in responding to inquiries from the media
- Develop effective relationships with partners and other key stakeholders, earning their trust and respect as a trusted resource on best practices related to public relations and media engagement
- Prepare partners and other stakeholders for media interviews, including developing materials such as key messages and talking points.
- Collaborate with Business Development and other colleagues in developing integrated external communications plans to support strategic initiatives, and in developing content for various uses
- Develop and lead the implementation of social media initiatives, working in conjunction with the Director of Communications and others, to support firm business goals
- Supervise and oversee members of Business Development Communications team, ensuring timely dissemination of Firm press releases and news items/deal announcements; submissions to many awards and ranking organizations; placement of byline articles; and social media posts highlighting the broad strength of the firm, individuals and practices.
- Create original content for award nominations, website announcements, internal communications, and other potential marketing and business development uses, as needed.
- Proactively measure and report on impact of activities and ROI of communications efforts
- Special projects as they occur or are needed.
- Additional related responsibilities as requested.
- 7 to 10 years of PR, communications, or marketing experience, preferably in the professional services realm.
- Experience leading teams and supervising team members.
- Must have significant media relations experience.
- Experience developing and implementing public relations plans and activities
- Interest and experience in using social media channels, including Twitter and LinkedIn
- Leader who can command a room and interface with individuals at all levels at the firm.
- Articulate with strong influencing and persuasion skills and superior ability to collaborate cross functionally and across offices.
- Team player who can effectively collaborate across all levels and departments within the firm
- Demonstrated track record of exhibiting good judgement
- Demonstrated ability to know how to package and pitch ideas to the media and other audiences
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills and the ability to handle multiple projects on a regular basis.
- Ability to successfully prioritize multiple demands and meet deadlines under pressure.
- Impeccable attention to detail and creative flair.
- Familiarity/comfort with business and legal jargon.
- Aptitude for understanding new technologies quickly.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office, Adobe and other publishing software.
- Superior team player; positive attitude; high energy, drive, determination and collaborative nature.
- Previous experience working in a legal or professional services environment highly preferred
Bachelor’s degree required.