The Business Development Manager reports to the Director of Business Development, and works with several business unit leaders. The Manager will work closely in a team environment with key members of the organization including attorneys and other senior administrative professionals. Goals include serving as the primary business development and marketing strategist responsible for developing, leading and implementing marketing and business development activities, assisting in the development and preparation of pitches, RFP/RFI responses, brochures, advertisements and client mailings to promote exposure of the business units and individual attorneys, as appropriate.
- Assist in the implementation of various business units with their marketing and business development plans by managing, supporting and tracking the group’s efforts.
- Work with leadership to assist in expanding the client base by proactively seeking opportunities that drive new business development and cross-selling.
- Maintain an accurate database of clients and other contacts to enable external communication and grow business.
- Provide support to attorneys in connection with the business unit’s strategic planning and related initiatives, including analyzing market and competitor research on target clients and industries, and supporting cross-selling initiatives.
- Plan, coordinate, and support internal and external business unit events, seminars, webinars, and conferences, including but not limited to preparing firm materials, event space, and organizing attendee registration. Perform research to identify potential speaking engagement opportunities for attorneys, and maintain a comprehensive list of speaking engagements.
- Assist with business unit and industry-related sponsorships, events and memberships, including coordinating the invitation and RSVP list, assisting in preparing any invitation-related or event collateral, acting as on-site host and coordinating registration or tradeshow exhibit, when applicable.
- Maintain and catalog experience and content in the department’s Experience Database. Make suggestions on how to improve the data quality, search capabilities and reporting function of the database.
- Facilitate internal communications about successes and opportunities within the business unit, utilizing internal and external communication vehicles. Prepare and distribute client alerts, firm news, and publications.
- Collaborate with other members of the firm’s marketing and communications group when needed.
- Other projects and/or responsibilities as assigned.
This position requires a Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or other related field preferred.
Specialized skills and training include:
- Three to five years of business development and marketing experience, preferably in legal or other professional services industry.
- Advanced knowledge and use of Microsoft Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, SharePoint, InterAction, website management systems and e-marketing software.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with strong attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build credibility and trust with attorneys.
- Must be a team player, with the ability to interact with all levels of the organization.
- Excellent project management skills, and must work well under pressure with deadlines.