Based in New York City, the Business Development Manager will be responsible for the development, implementation and execution of all marketing and business development activities for one of the firm’s key revenue producing partners. These activities will include, but are not limited to, preparing pitches for new business, as well as responding to requests for information and proposals; maintaining and gathering effective marketplace intelligence; developing/implementing effective client targeting strategies for both new and existing clients; coordinating all aspects of business development-related events; and enhancing the key partner’s profile in relevant markets. The key partner supported by this role is a member of the firm’s executive committee who specializes in the areas of private equity, mergers and acquisitions and capital markets and regularly represents private equity funds, venture capital funds, sovereign wealth funds, international funds, asset managers, credit funds, hedge funds, investment banks, family offices, financiers, (and their portfolio companies) in various types of complex domestic and cross border investment and financing transactions.
The Business Development Manager will be the sole BD contact for this partner and will liaise with other marketing and business development professionals as needed, but will ultimately be responsible for achieving successful outcomes from the activities described above. Responsibilities extend beyond mere process coordination, as the Business Development Manager will be expected to prepare deliverables at every phase of the business development cycle.
A depth of experience within the legal/professional services industries, coupled with the ability to independently drive the business development activities described above is essential. Compensation for this position will consist of base salary plus significant bonus opportunity contingent upon the achievement of certain key performance indicators (KPIs). KPIs to be determined contemporaneously with the commencement of employment.
- Managing the full and complete portfolio of business development activities for the key partner, including, but not limited to, preparing pitches for new business, as well as responding to requests for information and proposals; maintaining and gathering effective marketplace intelligence; developing/implementing effective client targeting strategies for both new and existing clients; coordinating all aspects of business development-related events; and enhancing the key partner’s profile in relevant markets.
- Collaborating with the key partner, other attorneys, and professional staff (including the business development, marketing and administrative teams) to develop and support efforts to grow revenue in new and existing clients.
- Preparing market research and client analysis to identify industry trends and new business development opportunities; finding synergies with other firm practice areas; assisting key partner in pursuing leads.
- Driving client team efforts on behalf of key partner, which requires identifying relevant team members, creating client plans, organizing and leading client team conference calls/meetings, preparing relationship reports, generating relationship maps and targeting plans.
- Developing marketing materials, RFPs, and other pitch responses, including the collection and maintenance of representative case/matter information; drafting and editing practice area descriptions and attorney biographies; identifying and coordinating responses to requests for proposals and assisting attorneys with presentations, templates and custom pieces and electronic and hard copy library of marketing materials.
- Leading/overseeing related public relations initiatives, including awards/directories submissions, with assistance from the marketing group.
- Identifying and supporting thought leadership opportunities, including speaking engagements, industry conferences, and writing and blog postings—both for firm publications and externally with professional and trade organizations.
- Managing and effectively utilizing client information through the firm’s client relationship management (CRM) system; including maintenance of group mailing lists and tracking new business opportunities within the firm’s CRM.
- Assisting in coordination and strategic planning related to local and national industry conferences, client seminars and targeted sponsorships including budgeting and tracking associated costs. Monitor and report on return on investment.
- Consulting with internal marketing and business development teams to ensure quality professional product in line with firm brand standards.
- Assisting with special projects, as assigned by key partner.
: Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing, Finance or related discipline required; an MBA, JD or advanced degree is desirable.
- Five+ years of experience in business development/sales/marketing at a commercial investment bank, financial institution or consulting firm preferred, international law firm or other complex professional services environment will be considered.
- He/she must also be able to demonstrate the ability to interact and influence members of a large organization, have strong writing and communication skills, and the ability to manage competing deadlines and priorities while staying focused on big picture objectives.
- The ability to function independently, effectively, and professionally within a multi-faceted organization is key.
- Exceptionally strong management, organizational, project management and problem solving skills are required for this role.
- Must possess high energy, maintain a persistent mind-set, enthusiasm, and be extremely goal-oriented.
- Must possess a professional business manner, and have the ability to identify, connect and build relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to succeed in a fast-paced environment with strong demand for rapid response rates.
- Must be detail oriented, proactive and self-directed with ability to manage multiple projects and competing priorities under tight deadlines.
- Must be an extremely responsive, accessable, entrepreneurial, self-starter with a positivite ‘can-do” attitude. Sound professional judgment and a high degree of poise and professionalism when interacting with internal and external contacts.
- Demonstrated ability to establish effective Firmwide working relationships with individuals at all levels. Must be able to react to difficult situations quickly, effectively and diplomatically.
- Superior presentation skills. Strong oral and written communication skills. Strong computer skills, including advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, as well as willingness to learn database systems.