The Manager, Professional Development - Litigation will manage all aspects of professional development for midlevel and senior associates in the Litigation practice group.
- Support staffing partners in our White Collar, Antitrust, Civil Litigation, and IP Litigation practice areas, focusing primarily on Civil and IP
- Advise 4th – senior associates in the litigation department and assist with staffing 1st-3rd year associates as needed
- Monitor associates' availability and professional development
- Create reports for litigation partners to assist with staffing and utilization
- Coordinate with Special Counsel for Pro Bono to ensure that Pro Bono matters are staffed promptly and efficiently
Orientation & Integration of New and Lateral Associates
- Coordinate the performance evaluation process for litigation associates and counsel
- Prepare written review summaries for all mid-level and senior litigation associates
- Provide oral summary reports on associates and counsel during review meetings and help identify performance issues and training needs
- Conduct orientation for first year and lateral litigation associates
- Manage the Career Advisor Program, making associate/partner matches, developing social and other programs to support the program, tracking participation among partners and associates
- Meet regularly with all mid-level and senior associates to monitor morale, answer questions, and address any concerns
- Work with Alumni team to incorporate feedback from departure conversations
- Make recommendations for improving associate recruiting and retention.
- Organize regular social gatherings for litigation associates
- Create and or track associates’ experience in order to maximize the variety of work, exposure to different partners and senior associates, and development of new skills
- Work with Senior Counsel, Litigation Training Committee, and other PD managers to organize training programs and see through to execution
Education and/or Experience
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Able to propose creative solutions to challenging problems.
- Determination and ability to project confidence essential.
- Familiarity with Excel and comfortable creating and presenting PowerPoint and other presentations upon request expected.
- Must have excellent leadership skills and be able to inspire confidence among associates and firm leaders.
- Availability during normal office hours is essential and responsiveness to email after hours and on weekends is expected.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of personnel and other sensitive matters is critical.
- Bachelor’s degree required, JD preferred.
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience with collaborating with partners in a large law firm setting expected.