Under the direction of the Manager of Infrastructure Engineering, the Infrastructure Engineer is responsible for the monitoring, maintaining and implementation of the firm’s systems infrastructure technologies and processes. This position is the primary triage point of contact for all Systems Engineering-related escalations and alerts.
- Maintain Infrastructure Engineering documentation, policies, standards and procedures; and incorporate the maintenance of this documentation into project life cycles. This is inclusive of identifying improvements to our infrastructure, configurations and creating a planned approach to implement recommendations following our Change Management Control processes to ensure our systems are operating optimally.
- Primary owner of the firm’s patch management process with the goal of maintaining compliance with the firms established patching policy. All firm-owned systems infrastructure, operating systems and firmware are included in this process.
- Responsible for ensuring that the firm’s systems infrastructure is functioning in an optimal manner and that all systems redundancies, failover capabilities, and performance goals are met through the proper implementation of design best practices, and other configuration items. This includes performing necessary actions for all failover testing, responding to and remediating alerts.
- Act as a primary technical contact for escalations from other Information Technology and Information Security teams.
- Primary owner of the firm’s monitoring platforms with the goal of establishing a proactive posture for all systems, cloud infrastructure and applications.
- Maintain an evolving understanding of cloud technologies, architectures, and ramifications to the firm’s network, systems and security posture. Coordinate with senior members of the Infrastructure Engineering team to evaluate, design, and implement cloud technologies that satisfy the firm’s Information Security risk tolerance objectives.
- Assist in identifying and assessing new technology. Evaluate new technology for applicability within the firm’s overall technology strategy, architecture and availability goals. Continue to make technology recommendations to enhance our availability, performance and ability to service our clients at the highest level.
- Maintain the entire systems technology portfolio in order to ensure that performance and availability objectives are satisfied, including but not limited to the following:
- Virtualization – VMware vSphere 6, SRM 6
- Messaging – Exchange (2010, 2013 and 2016), Office 365 & Exchange Online, ActiveSync, Mail gateways, SPAM/Content filtering
- Public and Private Cloud technologies – Azure, Microsoft 365, AWS and VMware on AWS
- Automation technologies – PowerShell, Configuration Management, etc.
- Active Directory – AD DS, DNS, DHCP, ADFS, PKI, GPO
- Storage (SAN) – Block & File – EMC VNX, Isilon, Pure Storage, Object, Cloud and Software Defined Storage
- Data Protection – Backup, BCDR and Replication technologies
- Mobile Device Management (MDM) Solutions and Mobile Endpoint Protection
- Monitoring of all firm’s systems inclusive of virtualization, networking, storage, and systems applications
- Datacenter Operations – Planning and execution of add/remove/changes inside a co-located datacenter
- Other products that augment or replace the features and functions listed above
- A minimum five years of Systems Engineering-related experience, prior law firm experience a plus
- Bachelor’s Degree Required
- Ability to pursue and attain latest certifications in Microsoft, VMware, Cisco and related Cloud technologies
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of Microsoft, Cisco, VMware, EMC, Network and Systems Monitoring, MDM, Storage (SAN), ADFS/IAM/SSO/SAML, MFA
- Strong understanding of firm’s Messaging infrastructure, Exchange 2010/2016, Exchange Site Availability, SMTP Routing, SPAM and Content Filtering
- Excellent listening skills and written and oral communication skills, including effective presentation skills and ability to mentor other Systems Engineers on various topics
- Strong understanding of Datacenter operations and planning
- Familiarity with Public Cloud (Azure, AWS), Office 365 and Exchange Online