This position may work out of the NYC or Bay Area office.
We have an opening for a Senior Director of Knowledge and Innovation Delivery “K&ID” who will be responsible for the operational leadership of the K&ID department, including Knowledge and Innovation Attorneys, Business Analysts and the Research and Intelligence (formerly the Library) groups. The Senior Director will lead the K&ID management team in executing knowledge and innovation strategies that improves efficiency and client experience across all practices and departments.
Desired Skills and Qualifications
- Along with firm leadership, Practice Management, Marketing and Business Development, create practice innovation strategy, develop, and set strategies for the knowledge and research functions.
- Collaborate with other practice group professionals to support the firm’s and the practice group’s strategic objectives, including innovative technology solutions, and other organizational priorities as set forth by practice and sub-group leadership.
- Lead Innovation Attorneys, Business Analysts and related department managers to develop and deliver user centered business solutions which improve internal and external client experience.
- Lead and manage knowledge and innovation team in: collecting and automating firm documents and processes; driving use of efficiency tools (Kira, Smartsheet and RPA); building firm knowledge sharing systems that provide contextual information to fee-earners and clients; integrating, supporting and coordinating the firm’s knowledge and business processes; building out the firm’s Experience Management capabilities; and effectively deploying the firm’s research and competitive intelligence teams.
- Partner with Practice Group Leaders and Practice Management to recommend and initiate improvements in all knowledge and innovation areas. Specifically, in delivering highest quality knowledge, content and research services to the firm’s practices and clients, ensuring effective sharing of knowledge across all practices and jurisdictions, and identifying and implementing cutting-edge KM platforms to create efficiencies in the practice of law.
- Lead a knowledge sharing culture where knowledge is valued and used, and lawyers have the skills to use these resources independently. Help drive cultural change across the firm, embedding a culture of continuous learning, innovation, and client service.
- Partner with Marketing team to identify opportunities for internal and client-facing knowledge sharing.
- Collaborate with the firm’s Legal Personnel and Training department on supporting legal substantive training across the firm’s practices.
- Remain current with knowledge trends, legal technology trends, law firm business trends, and legal developments, while promoting this information across the firm and with the senior management team.
- In collaboration with the team and the IT group, assesses all technology used by the practice groups on an ongoing basis.
- Strong operational experience with a deep understanding of technology and business process improvement methodologies.
- Aptitude for building relationships and fostering a collaborative approach to working with internal clients across practice groups and departments.
- Experience scaling innovation through process in a professional services firm.
- Ability to empathize and engage with attorneys to look at processes and service delivery through a business lens.
- Ability to leverage and grow team members experience around project management, innovation and process.
- Excellent project management and critical thinking skills with a focus on innovation and change management.
- Exceptional communication, collaboration and team leadership skills.
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office and SharePoint.
- Advanced knowledge of relevant technology systems and applications used in law firms and/or legal departments.
Under the direction of the COO and in close coordination with practice management and marketing, this role is a collaborative leader, working with all practice groups and functional departments, who has strong operational and technical skills. This individual should be able maintain a big picture of the firm’s business and can provide direction, inspiration and experience to the functional and technical professionals. The ideal candidate will have at least 10 years of experience in knowledge management, operations management, process improvement, marketing operations, legal practice, or legal operations in a law firm or corporate setting preferred. A bachelor's degree is required; advanced degree in relevant field (MLIS, MBA or JD) is preferred.