The New York-based Communications Specialist will be responsible for leading efforts around the Firm’s robust and competitive awards program, and supporting strategic marketing and visibility efforts. The Communications Specialist will play a central role in our editorial process, contributing to the production of copy for use across the Firm’s channels, including web, social and internal newsletter. This role, working directly with lawyers and staff in the U.S., Europe and Asia offices, helps ensure that the Firm continues its strong standing in core practices areas and gains increased recognition in growth areas.
The Communications Specialist will guide the process of our awards program from start to finish, including project managing and providing strategic guidance to business development and communications colleagues. In addition, the Communications Specialist will be responsible for the training and professional development of the Communications Coordinator. The person in this role will gain a 360-degree understanding of the Firm and its practices.
Skills and capabilities
- Lead efforts to create effective awards submissions, including drafting submissions and creating content; assigning writing projects and providing background information; evaluating opportunities; researching and recommending eligible candidates; project managing the review and approval process with Business Development and partners; and submitting completed pieces to media outlet contacts.
- Evaluate and track the success of our awards program, and make recommendations for participation based on our track record.
- Regularly review editorial calendar from a quarter, six-month, and 12-month perspective to determine additional resources required for the internal team, develop and internally communicate project plans, and identify overlaps across outlets and practice groups and note opportunities to streamline.
- Maintain and manage awards editorial calendar to monitor upcoming awards opportunities. Ensure that projects begin on time, and that all deadlines are met.
- Manage the end-to-end process of awards ceremonies and industry events, working with various team members to maximize the visibility of the Firm and its lawyers at such events.
- Act as a resource in ongoing media relations efforts, particularly those related to awards opportunities and outlets. Oversee Communications Coordinator in the scheduling and strategizing for directories research calls, including preparation materials.
- Partner with other Communications Team members to contribute to the editorial content process for web, social and our internal newsletter, including scheduling posting dates, managing the editorial content calendar, running the weekly editorial meeting, drafting language and securing appropriate approval.
- Oversee the maintenance of tracking spreadsheets and databases to ensure the department has access to accurate and current information.
- Support Communications Team with other projects as necessary and assist on projects as assigned.
Education / Experience
- Excellent writing, editing, proofreading and research skills (a writing test is required)
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills, with a high level of attention to detail.
- Understanding of transactional and litigation terminology and processes.
- Proficiency in standard spreadsheet, database, word processing and presentation applications as well as with a variety of online and new media information resources. Knowledge of any CRM system is also helpful. The Firm provides additional training in core software programs, if needed, to enhance skills and speed of work.
- An ability to handle time-sensitive requests from multiple lawyers, across time zones, and to generate quality work product in a fast-paced environment. Excellent interpersonal skills. Strong deadline orientation.
- A commitment to the highest standards of excellence and professionalism that are the hallmarks of our legal practice.
- Three to five years of experience working for a law firm, financial institution or other professional services firm; previous experience with legal/business publication awards and directory rankings highly desirable.
- Legal or business journalism experience a plus.
- Project management certification a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree required.