The eDiscovery Management Department (“EDM”) is responsible for advising and supporting litigation lawyers through all phases of the eDiscovery lifecycle, including data collection, processing, culling, analysis, and production. The EDM team consults with the firm’s litigation case teams on a broad array of issues relating to eDiscovery, including best practices and current trends in eDiscovery, available technical solutions, project workflows, eDiscovery vendors, and ESI and production protocols, and also provides direct, hands-on project support on all litigation matters in discovery.
In conjunction with EDM Project Managers, the Analyst, eDiscovery is responsible for providing technical support to litigation case teams during all phases of the discovery process, including collection, review, and production. In this role, the Analyst, eDiscovery works closely with the firm’s lawyers, fellow EDM team members, and eDiscovery vendors to (i) develop management plans for electronic documents; (ii) coordinate processing of e-mail and other e-data; (iii) organize and track document review workflows; (iv) prepare and facilitate the production of documents; and (v) track and document activity on assigned matters. The Analyst, eDiscovery also assists with overseeing the completion and quality of scanning, OCR, coding, e-data conversion and other processes.
Additionally, the Analyst, eDiscovery provides technical training, assistance, and support for lawyers and other staff, and support external document review teams.
Because the Analyst, eDiscovery supports both EDM’s internal clients and the firm’s external clients, the Analyst must exhibit a deep commitment to client service and the ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and professionally.
- Coordinating the processing and loading of data, and addressing issues (e.g., exceptions, missing metadata, processing issues)
- Retrieving client or production data on file share sites
- Consulting with case teams regarding platform capabilities and features, search construction, document review workflows, and technical data issues
- Constructing and running complex database searches across a variety of platforms, and reporting on the results of searches
- Constructing, managing, and reporting on document review workflows
- Preparing documents for production
- Performing quality-control review of vendor work (e.g., searches, batching) and incoming production media
- Confirming database structure conforms with firm standard specifications or case team needs
- Assisting case teams with work relating to privilege logs (e.g., coordinating exports and name normalization)
- Performing training in various review platforms
- Working with EDM Project Managers to document case details
- Understanding and complying with protocols regarding handling client data, original client media, and production media with respect to data preservation
- Working on internal departmental projects, including documentation
- Maintaining an ongoing understanding of firm resources
Education and/or Experience
- Commitment to client service; Must be willing and able to be highly responsive both during and outside the standard work schedule
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to collaborate effectively with clients, diverse case teams, fellow EDM team members and other firm support staff, and outside vendors
- Detailed knowledge of litigation technologies and processes, with an emphasis on discovery best practices, document production, and document management
- General knowledge of review workflows, including ones that leverage advanced analytics
- Ability to organize workload, manage time and available resources in order to meet deadlines, and balance competing priorities
- Ability to grasp and apply new ideas
- Excellent organization and documentation skills
- Commitment to fostering a positive and team-oriented culture within the EDM group
- Intellectual curiosity about new litigation technologies Willingness to take initiative in handling projects and the ability to anticipate project needs
- Strong problem-solving skills, including the ability to analyze, troubleshoot, and resolve issues
- Ability to perform well in a high-stress environment and to adapt to changing deadlines and priorities
- Four-year college degree
- Minimum of one year’s experience in an active litigation support environment
- Knowledge of law firm litigation support technology and services
- Proficiency in Relativity
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel
- Approximately two years of progressively responsible work experience.