We are looking for a Principal Software Development Engineer to lead backend architecture across our Features group of teams. The principal engineer will be a hands-on leader architecting highly scalable systems. You will be involved with day-to-day design, implementation and operational discussions while mentoring other software engineers within the Features Group to make sound technical decisions. You will leverage technology across the organization to solve problems and influence design decisions.
Our stack includes: Python, Flask, Jinja, ES6, Vue.js, Sass, Webpack, Redis, Docker, GCP, Terraform, Ansible, Memcached, Nginx
What you’ll do
What you’ll bring
- Live by and champion our values: #day-one, #ownership, #empathy, #humility.
- Be the go-to expert for platform technical solutions; work with product and engineering teams to understand roadmap priorities, innovate and evolve the platform.
- Drive design and implementation decisions using principles and best practices. Make decisions that move the architecture forward; create best practices and implement new technologies to solve technical challenges as they arise.
- Mentor senior engineers and technical leads to make sound technical decisions and help build effective engineering practices.
- Champion good habits (development techniques, security, tech debt balance, TDD, and agile habits); improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes.
- Write Python code focused on scalability, testability, supportability and maintainability. Find and address performance issues throughout the application. Participate in architecture, code, security and operational reviews.
- Drive a culture of technical excellence and continuous improvement. Identify and introduce new technologies that elevate the platform.
- Typically, 12+ years of relevant development experience in fast paced environments
- Expert in of one of the following languages: Python (preferred), Nodejs, Ruby
- Experience driving technical design decisions for highly scalable backend systems
- Leadership and mentoring skills and the ability to work with engineers across skill levels
- Passionate about building scalable and simple solutions to solve customer problems
- Experience with Cloud Platforms such as GCP, AWS, or Azure
- Experience with Docker, auto-scaling, serverless infrastructure
- Excellent asynchronous communication skills and ability to work remotely in a high growth organization
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience