The Marketing department is seeking a Business Development Manager (Intellectual Property). The Manager’s primary purpose is to accelerate the growth of the Intellectual Property ("IP") group and key related industry groups by extending our attorneys’ ability to develop business from current and prospective clients. This position can be based in any of our offices.
Practice group support
. Work with practice group leaders to assess business development ("BD") needs related to overall strategic plan implementation. Develop practice plans. Attend key practice group meetings. Proactively identify opportunities for cross marketing and execute.
Individual partner support. Meet with partners in key practices to develop and implement business plans. Monitor and support BD activities of those partners, including identifying targets, developing pursuit strategies and monitoring and supporting pursuit efforts.
Sales material messaging
. Work with other BD team members to ensure that sales materials, pitches and proposals highlight the attributes of the firm and its key practices.
. Initiate and implement ideas to improve the department’s BD services and the firm’s business development efforts.
Events management and content development
. Develop strategies and content for (and drive forward) targeted events, sponsorship involvement, speaking engagements and thought leadership.
. Collaborate with Recruiting and Practice Development teams to create and implement lateral integration plans and ensure successful onboarding of lateral partners, including integration of their clients into the firm.
Metrics and reporting
. Develop and maintain meaningful metrics that focus BD behavior, improve the efficiency of the firm’s business development efforts and demonstrate the value of the firm’s BD program.
Staff management and mentoring
. Work with the BD team members to improve the efficiency of the department’s BD services, support professional development of BD team and promote a positive work environment.
Desired Skills and Qualifications
- Exemplary communication skills, both verbal and written, with a keen ability to capture, distill, and accurately describe the firm’s services, as well as write about complex legal and technical topics
- A desire to continually learn and grow, both with best practices in law firm business development and with the firm’s legal practices, business practices and the industries and technologies of our clients
- Affinity for technology, both externally for what is germane to our clients, as well as internally to support innovative marketing and BD efforts
- Strong problem-solving skills including the ability to anticipate problems as well as suggest and execute on solutions
- Ability to prioritize ongoing tasks and significant projects for yourself and team members, as well as manage expectations of attorneys in relation to these projects
- Strong customer service ethic and outstanding interpersonal skills, capable of working seamlessly with high level partners, marketing professional staff and colleagues in other departments
- Highly organized, efficient and extremely detailed oriented, with superior proofreading and fact checking skills
- Advanced search, data collection and reporting skills, including use of CRM tools and proprietary research databases
- Advanced Excel skill and proficiency in remaining MS Office suite (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, SharePoint)
- Capable of staying productive and accurate under pressure with tight deadlines (a sense of humor helps, too)
- Self-motivated, takes initiative and can work independently
Reporting to the Senior Manager of Business Development, the qualified candidate will have 7+ years of professional services BD experience. Strong knowledge of IP practices (patent, trademark, copyright, technology transactions and privacy) and applicable BD strategies and tactics. Intermediate to advanced understanding of technology industries (AI, software, mobile, life sciences, cleantech, etc.) and legal services (venture capital, startup, IP litigation, etc.). J.D. preferred.