This position can work from any of the following offices:
- Mountain View
- New York
- San Francisco
- Washington, D.C.
- Santa Monica
The Director of Business Development - Litigation, IP and Regulatory is a leadership position whose primary purpose is to accelerate the firm's growth by acting as a catalyst that extends our attorneys’ ability to develop business from current and prospective clients. The Director will identify promising opportunities for short-term and longer-term growth, work with practice group leaders to develop and coordinate goals, identify and help coordinate client expansion opportunities, strategize high-profile RFPs and guide the Business Development team to innovate their overall marketing tactics. This position can be based in any of our offices.
The Director of Business Development will
- Work with Litigation, IP, Regulatory, International and key industry group leaders as well as individual partners to advise them on business development planning and implementation
- Work with the Senior Director of Marketing & Business Development, Director of Business Development – Corporate and senior leadership in the firm to innovate the firm’s pipeline and its interplay with other Marketing functions
- Work with key personnel in other admin groups to better refine pricing, products, internal tools and business intelligence that supports firm’s sales and business development functions
- Develop, mentor and manage Business Development team
Desired Skills and Qualifications
- Help practice groups, industry groups, client teams and individual attorneys develop and implement business development goals and programs
- Build and maintain a strong, efficient Business Development Group that provides innovative, proactive support to the firm’s practices and individual attorneys
- Continually improve the Business Development’s function around developing and maintaining targeted pitch materials, message points, competitive intelligence and relevant client lists and experience management
- Develop and help implement the training of Partners and Associates in business development
- Identify targets, develop pursuit strategies, and support pursuit efforts, including strategies and tactics to promote cross-selling
- Work with Finance and various partners to develop practice-specific products and other service offerings that are innovative, attractive to clients while supporting firm growth and profitability
- Identify potential new areas of practice and industry growth that further support firm's mission of providing innovative legal services to technology and life sciences companies
- Develop long-term plans and strategies for expanding key client targets by assessing and tracking client service needs, promoting cross-selling opportunities, managing client teams (formal and informal), conducting industry research and analysis and identifying client-service related activities
- Participate in and support the firm’s client satisfaction program
- The Director of Business Development will be an experienced executive who will have hands-on experience in client acquisition and development in the legal industry. The Director should be passionate about working at the firm, coupled with enormous energy and a strong results-orientation.
- Outstanding communication skills, with the ability to grab the attention of and inspire busy and skeptical law firm partners
- A consensus-building, team-oriented approach in working with the business development group, as well as other marketing and administrative colleagues
- Self-directed and self-reliant worker, who can roll up his or her sleeves and work in the trenches when needed
- Proven capability to accomplish difficult, complex goals with limited actual “authority”
- Affinity for technology, both to best understand the clients we serve and to deploy tools that maximize efficiency and usability of the firm’s business development function
- Deep understanding of sales and marketing for professional services
- Wherewithal to thrive in a rapidly changing business environment
The qualified candidate will have a minimum of 10 years’ experience in professional services business development is required. A law degree is preferred or, in its absence, a keen ability to deeply understand the services of the firm.