looking for a full-time Real Estate Paralegal for the Corporate Real Estate Group in our New York office. This person will assist with real estate support work for a wide variety of complex M&A and other corporate matters, following each deal from its inception through the closing and post-closing phases.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Assist attorneys in all phases of real estate support work for complex M&A and other corporate matters, including:
- Review of title commitments, exception documents, and surveys
- Assist in preparing title affidavits, escrow direction letters, and transfer tax forms
- Preparation of initial drafts of mortgages and mortgage amendments, deeds, estoppels and similar documentation
- Preparation of UCC filings
- Communicate with title companies, clients and surveyors to resolve title issues.
- Review of real estate materials in electronic data rooms as part of due diligence projects
- Communicate with local counsel throughout the country and assist in multi-state transactions
- Request and maintain flood certification files
- Draft and review mortgage releases and UCC termination statements
- Organization and maintenance of client files throughout the pre-closing, closing and post-closing process
- Post-closing follow up including review of title policies and maintaining of recorded document files
- Some familiarity with corporate formation documents and operating agreements
May regularly supervise support staff (secretary, copy center, word processing, legal assistant clerks, temporary legal assistants) who may be requested to assist the commercial real estate legal assistant. Supervision entails instruction and review of tasks such as assisting with the preparation of checklists, monitoring status or progress of third parties involved in the transaction, assist with the preparation of closing memoranda, etc.
Legal assistants may on occasion be asked to participate in special projects by the legal assistant managers or attorneys. These responsibilities may include billing, interviewing, mentoring new legal assistants, legal assistant meeting presentations, participation in special projects and training demonstrations.
4-year college degree is required
At least 4 years or more of real estate legal assistant/paralegal experience or equivalent experience in the real estate industry. Paralegal certificate is a plus.
Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of survey and title review.
- Ability to communicate effectively in written and verbal form.
- Exceptional organizational skills for managing and assisting with numerous long-term and short-term projects.
- Demonstrates close attention to detail and provides an accurate, neat and thorough work product.
- Proactive, analytical and consultative problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills to facilitate effective working relationships with attorneys, clients and support staff.
- Ability to coordinate multiple matters.
- Ability to use Firm’s resources efficiently and effectively.
- Professionalism and high ethical standards.
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team.
- Commitment to work overtime, including nights and weekends.